Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blog Assignment #3

Technology in Special Education
In the video Technology in Special Education, I learned a lot about the use of technology. I am sad to say I never thought of how technology could affect special education. This video showed me how many wonderful things can be done with technology. I loved when it showed Kris, who has trouble speaking. Kris' computer allowed him to spell out what he wanted to say. I also liked when it showed the boy who had trouble writing. The teacher said it used to take him a long time to complete his assignments, but now that he has a computer, he can type out his work and turn it in on time.
The video also showed that the use of technology can keep a student's attention and get him or her engaged in learning. Technology can make a classroom come to life and make the students feel like they are apart of what they are learning about. I am glad that I watched this video and saw how much technology can help students with special needs.
laptop pointing upwards

Ipad
In How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism, Braden is using the iPad to help him learn. Braden's dad downloaded several apps to help Braden work on his counting, reading, and writing. In the video, it says that Braden never showed any interest in learning before they got the iPad. The counting app that Braden was using turned learning into a game. The app was colorful and it spoke to Braden, which kept his attention. I really liked watching Braden and his dad interacting with the iPad and I also enjoyed seeing the positive feedback Braden was receiving from his dad. 
The app I would like to use in my classroom is called writing prompts. The app has thousands of ideas to get kids motivated to write. It will give the students a word or phrase and they have to expand their story based on the word or phrase. The iPad has allowed endless opportunities for teachers to motivate children to learn. 
children using iPads

Gary's Social Media Count
This counter is amazing to look at; it does not stay the same for one second! It is overwhelming to think about how many things are posted on Facebook each second. Honestly, more things are shared on Facebook than I ever imagined. Another interesting count to me was the amount of videos watched on YouTube every second. I just can not believe how high the numbers are and how quickly they change!

A Vision of Students Today
A Vision of Students Today is a thought provoking video. The information that the students were holding up are a reflection of how a vast amount of college students feel. I really liked the one that said I spend hundreds of dollars on textbooks I never open. I know I can definitely relate to that one. I have had some classes that did not require a textbook. I have also had some classes that gave us the option of reading the book online for free or purchasing the ebook for under forty dollars. I really liked that the teachers were giving us options and understanding that textbooks are expensive. 
The video showed a lot of statistics in it. I liked that actual college students were holding up the statistics. I understand that allowing students to bring their laptops to class can have negative consequences, but it can also open up so many learning possibilities as well. When I become a teacher, I hope to use technology in a way that will keep the children motivated and eager to learn. 
                                       


1 comment:

  1. The Writing Prompt app sounds like a great way to connect art to the writing assignment.

    ReplyDelete