Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blog Assignment #12

For this post, we were supposed to make up an assignment and then do it. Since I am trying to become an elementary teacher, I made my assignment based on elementary education. The assignment is as follows:
1. Go to www.apples4theteacher.com
2. Explore the website and look at all of the different resources and games on the website
3. After exploring the website, choose three games or resources you would like to use in your future classroom. Discuss why you would like to use these games or resources in your future classroom.

hangmanThe first game I would use is the animal classification hangman. The game is like regular hangman, except it gives the students clues for which animal they are trying to guess. Instead of the typical hangman, this game shows a picture of fish and a whale coming after them. If you guess the word correctly, the whale does not eat the fish. However, if you do not guess the correct word, the whale eats the fish. I would use this game because I think it is a fun and creative way to get students familiar with different animals and their classifications.

The second game I would use is a math game. Because math can be such a daunting subject for children to learn, a game is a good way to get them interested in learning math. The game I chose is a measurement game. It shows a teddy bear up against a ruler and asks how big the teddy bear is. I like this game because it gives the students the opportunity to learn how to measure different things.
a cartoon ruler


The third game is an American Sign Language translator. Because I would like to teach at a school for deaf children, I believe this is an extremely useful resource for my future classroom. This particular resource allows you to type in a word and then it will translate it into American Sign Language.  I would use this resource in an all deaf classroom and also in a hearing classroom as well. I believe it is important for children to learn at least some sign language and be exposed to something that is different from what they are used to.
asl


I have chosen only 3 resources from this website, but apples4theteacher.com is full of games and resources. I recommend this website to anyone who is going to be or already is an elementary teacher.
an apple for the teacher

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen!
    Wow, you seem to have a lot of ideas for your future students. I really wish I could be apart of your class and play some of these fun games. I noticed in your post that you mentioned teaching at a deaf school, I have ambitions to do the same. I have already started taking some classes, and I am so excited. Maybe one day we will have the opportunity to work together! Great job! I keep telling everyone the finish line is near :) Nice job again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,

    Good job. That website has some useful resources.

    ReplyDelete