Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog Assignment #7

the networked student
The Networked Student    
I enjoyed watching The Networked Student, I like how the video was set up. Before taking this class and watching this video, I had never heard of a Personal Learning Network (PLN). At first, I was not sure if I would like the idea of a PLN, but after watching Wendy Drexler's video, I see why a PLN is so useful. The internet opens up so many possibilities for students today. I do not think about how much technology has changed learning because I am so used to it. However, even though I have grown up with computers and technology, there is still so much I do not know.
The video asks "why does a networked student need a teacher". The video does a nice job in answering this question. I networked student needs a teacher to show him/her how to create his/her PLN. Also, the teacher can provide guidance and advice. The video also points out that a teacher is there to help the networked student learn how to differentiate between good information and propaganda. I think that is the most important job of a teacher of a networked student because the internet is full of false information.
I believe I am ready to be a teacher to a networked student. However, while I think the PLN idea is useful, I also believe it should be toned down a bit for elementary students. I agree that elementary students should know how to use the internet. I also agree that they should learn from other resources-not just books. I just think that the Personal Learning Network should start in middle or high school. Overall, I really enjoyed Ms. Drexler's video and I look forward to creating my PLN.

3 comments:

  1. Kristen your blog post was very thought out. I thought you made very valid points and described the video "The Networked Student" very thoroughly.

    “I agree that elementary students should know how to use the internet. I also agree that they should learn from other resources-not just books. I just think that the Personal Learning Network should start in middle or high school."

    I think that if an elementary student knows how to use the internet, and uses it to learn, that they have already started their PLE/PLN's.

    I saw only one error where you placed an I instead of an A. Just keep an eye out for small things like that. :) Also, I did not see your comments on A 7th graders Personal Learning Environment . Did you add it to your post about your personal PLN? Other than that, keep up the good blogging! ")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,
    You did a wonderful job explaining the video. I also did not see the importance of a PLN before this video. I do see the benefits of having one now. I agree that PLNs should be toned down for elementary students although I do not agree that PLNs should start in middle school. I feel that upper level elementary students are capable of having PLNs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always use tools in a way that they are appropriate for a particular age group. That applies to scissors (some with rounded points, some not) as well as PLNs.

    ReplyDelete