Sunday, March 4, 2012

C4K Summary

C4K #1- For my first C4K post I was assigned to an 8th grader named Haley. Haley goes to school in New Zealand. The blog post I commented on was a story that Haley has written. The story is about a girl named Michelle who loves to swim. Michelle's number one enemy is Miranda. Michelle and Miranda are both on the swim team at school. Michelle always comes in second to Miranda, until one day she finally beats her. Miranda does not believe that Michelle can beat her again, so she challenges her to another race. The girls agree to meet on Saturday morning at the beach. Once the girls start racing, a shark attacks both of the girls. Michelle is rushed to the hospital and later discovers that Miranda has died. After Michelle discovers that Miranda is gone, she realizes that she really did like having her around. Michelle also realizes that it was pointless for her and Miranda to always argue over swimming.
In my comment, I told Haley that this a very moving story and that it really makes a person think. I also said that I believe the moral is to always be nice to people because you never know when they will be gone. I also told Haley that I thought she did a great job with writing the story. I also asked her if she has written any more stories.
shark


C4K #2- For my second C4K assignment, I was assigned to another 8th grader named Skinner. In his post, Skinner talked about what he did over the past weekend. He said he had to go to his brother's baseball game and his own swim meet. He said he loves to swim, play soccer, and play baseball. He said on Sunday, the whole family just relaxed around the house. He also said he read a few pages from a book that he was assigned to read. He said he really enjoyed reading because books can take you anywhere in the world.
In my comment, I told him that I do not really like sports that much, but I did used to be on the softball team at school. I also told him I like to swim, but not as a sport. I also told him I love to read too and that I love books because anything can happen in them. I also asked him what his favorite book was.
owl reading


C4K #3- For my third C4K assignment, I was assigned to and 8th grader named Zack. Zack is from Canada. In his blog post, Zack described a video chat he had with an 8th grader from New Orleans. Zack said that the 8th grader from New Orleans told him about the tradition of Mardi Gras.  He said that they have king cakes and zulu coconuts for good luck. Zack also talked about the gold doubloons that are thrown. He said that eight million beads are thrown during New Orleans' Mardi Gras season! He aslo said that visitors come from all around the country to see New Orleans Mardi Gras.
I really liked commenting on this post because it involved Mardi Gras. In my comment, I told Zack that not many people realize that Mobile is the birthplace of Mardi Gras. I also told him that Mardi Gras is a big deal in Mobile, we just do not get as many visitors as New Orleans does. I told him about the king cakes we have here and how they hide a little plastic baby in them. I also said that people throw the gold doubloons here too.   I told him I was not familiar with the zulu coconut and that we do not have them here in Mobile. I also told him that some people even put up Mardi Gras trees during Mardi Gras season.
mardi gras patch


C4K #4- For my fourth C4K, I was assigned to a 5th grader from Iowa. The students use numbers to identify themselves instead of their names. Therefore, I do not know his or her name. The student I was assigned to posted a letter he/she wrote to his/her parents. In the letter, the student argues that kids should get an allowance. He/she says that it would be cheaper to give kids an allowance so they could pay for their own stuff. The student says that, according to kidsmoney.org, kids of different ages should get different amounts every week. The student goes on to say that a child under the age of 5 should get a dollar per week, a 12 year old should get six dollars per week, and a 17 year old should get seventy-eight dollars per week! The student also says it would save the parents money because kids could pay for themselves at the movies, at restaurants, and they could pay for their own field trips.
In my comment, I said that the letter was very informative and persuasive. I also liked that the student backed up his/her point with a reference. I told him/her that I thought it is a good idea to give children at different ages different amounts of money. However, I did say that I believe $78 a week for a seventeen year old is a bit much! I told the student that he/she did a good job writing the letter, and I hope his/her took the points into consideration!
kid

1 comment:

  1. Well done. From New Zealand to Iowa! That's one reason I like C4K!

    ReplyDelete