Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Assignment #8

This is How We Dream, Parts 1&2:
In this video, Dr. Richard Miller gave an amazing presentation on how technology is being used and how it could be used in teaching. I was amazed while watching his presentation. So many fascinating things can be done with technology; the possibilities truly are endless. Technology opens so many doors for teachers and students alike.
In the video, Dr. Miller talks about eliminating paper and pens altogether and having the students complete everything on the computer. This has already happened in many college classes (such as this one), but it is not so common in elementary/middle/high schools. I believe the elimination of paper and pen is a good idea, but will have to be introduced slowly. I think I am prepared to write with multimedia. I also think that once children get used to writing this way, they will be able to do it with little problems.
This new way of writing and learning also changes a teacher's role in the classroom. The internet holds any information a student might need; teachers are no longer a source of information for students. A teacher's role should be teaching students what is good information and what is bad information. Although the internet has endless information, not all of it is reliable. Students should be able to differentiate between reliable and unreliable information. That is where teachers come in.
I really enjoyed Dr. Miller's presentation. It was fascinating to watch him quickly demonstrate numerous possibilities that technology allows. I look forward to continuing to learn about technology and to one day bring it to my classroom.

Carly's Post
Carly's idea was very creative. I think that she really embraced Dr. Miller's idea of writing with multimedia. I really like her youtube playlist idea. Her post is well-written and grabs the attention of the reader immediately. I agree that some people are visual learners and do not like to read as much as someone else might like to. By using videos, it will get the children interested in the stories and make them want to learn more about them. Like Carly said, videos are not the only thing out there, we could also use podcasts and blogs as tools to motivate the students.

EDM310 is Different
I really enjoyed watching EDM310 for Dummies. The video was funny and entertaining. I have to admit, I have felt like the girls in the beginning of the video. EDM310 is a very different class than what I am used to taking. However, I am proud to say that I have learned so much from EDM310. Before this class, I thought Twitter was just a site that self-absorbed celebrities used, but now I see that Twitter can actually be used for educational purposes. I think the video was a great idea. It was a creative way to show us that if we stay positive and use the resources that have been provided to us, we will not have as much difficulty in this class. I would like to create a funny and entertaining video as well.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
Learn to Change, Change to Learn  showed experienced educators discussing how much education has changed. Whether we like to admit it, change in education is necessary. Children need to be taught more about technology and social media networks because that is all that is around them. If they are not taught how to use social media networks and technology at school, they will have to learn it elsewhere. Isn't the purpose of going to school to learn? Children should not have to learn elsewhere, technology and social media should be incorporated into school so they will be prepared for the "real world" when they complete school. One of the teachers on the video said that kids are getting a more stimulating experience outside of school than they are at school. This should not be the case, but unfortunately it is in so many circumstances. By bringing social media networks and other technology to school, children will learn so much more and have a stimulating experience inside of the classroom. When I become a teacher, I want my students to enjoy learning and I want to encourage them to be creative and have fun.
kids using a computer


Scavenger Hunt
Using Discovery Education Web 20.11, we were assigned to do a scavenger hunt. Here is what I found:
1) We were asked to find the tool that was used to create Teaching in the 21st Century. The website I believe was used is called Prezi. Prezi can turn ordinary presentations into something that is more enjoyable to watch than just plain slides. The pricing that Prezi offers to teachers is free for a package called EDU enjoy or $59 a year for a package called EDU pro. The free package only offers 500MB worth of storage space, while the 59 dollar package offers 2 GB worth of storage. Also, the 59 dollar package offers Prezi desktop, which allows you to work on presentations without an internet connection. If a teacher wanted to use Prezi for several projects, I would highly recommend getting the 59 dollar package.
prezi example

2) We were asked to find a video tool that we have never used. I have never used Gizmoz.com. The website looks very interesting. You can upload a photo of your face and create an online avatar with it. You can decide what kind of body and clothes your avatar has. It looks like a lot of fun to create and avatar.
gizmoz.com logo

3) We were to create a poll. I used Polleverywhere.com. Here is my poll:


Poll Everywhere

1 comment:

  1. Could you include links to Miller's 'This is How We Dream' and Carly's Blog Post. Audiences will be able to look at those sites and better understand your summaries. Everything else is good, though!

    ReplyDelete