Friday, March 30, 2012

C4T Post #3

For the past 2 weeks I have been assigned to Jennifer Brokofsky's blog. Her blog is called A Work in Progress.
Last week I commented on a post entitled Purposeful Practice. In this post, Jennifer discusses her children's sports practices and how often they are required to practice. Jennifer suggests that if children practiced school work as much as they did sports then they would not have as much difficulty in school. Also, she says that children should be encouraged, even when they make mistakes. She also says that there is no such thing as perfect practice and children need to understand that no one expects them to be perfect.
In my comment I said that I agree with her post. I also said that I feel it is very important to encourage children and make sure they understand that it is okay to make mistakes. I hope when I become a teacher I can motivate my students and encourage them to always do their best.
teacher saying practice

This week I commented on a blog post called The Mad Minute-A Tragic Tale of Defeat and Remorse. In this post, she tells the story of a young preparing to take a timed math quiz and feeling defeated in the end because she did not do well on the quiz. The girl asked the teacher why they have to take the timed assessment (called the Mad Minute) and the teacher responds by saying the Mad Minute makes the kids learn their math basics. When the young girl grows up, she becomes a teacher and has her students do the same Mad Minute exercise. She realizes that the Mad Minute is not a good idea because it leaves the students feeling defeated and frustrated. She goes on to say that teachers need to assess children, not just use one tool to evaluate them. She also says that teaching math (or any subject for that matter) is about developing student competence as well as confidence.
In my comment, I said that I had a similar timed assessment when I was younger and I was always the student who left feeling defeated. I said I also feel that teachers need to make sure their students leave the classroom every day feeling motivated and confident in their work.
 a kitten staring in the mirror and seeing a lion

No comments:

Post a Comment